Monday, December 06, 2004

Something Isn't Right


There is definitely something wrong with the way I'm feeling right now. I'm having a hard time finishing my workouts, I'm not recovering properly between training sessions, and I need to sleep all the time. This has been going on for about a month.

I'm not too happy with the way the Can-Am races went last week, though the last 1000 meters on the inner lane was kind of fun. Before my 1500, I really had to work to convince myself that I was capable of having a good race. The night before, I drew a picture of the track and wrote 2 pages of notes on what I was going to think about during each part of the race. Then I walked around in circles in my hotel room, studying my notes to get the race into my head. I must have done a good job of convincing myself, because I really believed I was on a good one until I crossed the finish line, looked up, and saw a 2:03 next to my name.

With only a few weeks left until the U.S. Nationals, I need to figure out what my fatigue problem is all about. I'm going to see my doctor tomorrow, and hopefully we'll get some blood tests done...I'd like to check my blood cell count, ferritin levels, and maybe cortisol/DHEA to test for adrenal exhaustion.

The most encouraging thing about my training this fall has been the change in my technique, which a few skaters and coaches at the Oval have been noticing. I'm sitting lower, putting my foot down straighter, and getting more out of my forward hip drive. Once I get some rest, these technical changes should translate into faster speeds. And maybe when I start to skate faster, I'll feel like writing more in my Blog!