Thursday, December 09, 2004

How I have paid for my speedskating training:


When I came back to speedskating in 2001, I was determined to pay for my skating on my own because I was almost 24 years old and didn't want to be a burden on my parents. Fortunately, I had already earned my Master's degree in biology, so I would always have something to fall back on if anything happened. Also, there was always the chance that I could find a job that would be flexible enough that I could work in my field and train at the same time.

In my first season back, I decided not to attempt to pursue science along with speedskating because I really wanted to take a chance at making the Olympic team in 2002, and I had less than a year to prepare myself for the trials. I had some money saved up in a college fund that I never needed to use because I worked part-time and lived at home during school, so I used some of that. Also, I did various jobs at the Utah Olympic Oval - I coached Learn to Speedskate, watched the weight room, and sharpened skates.

My first season was a success, and even though I did not make the Olympic team, I established myself as a World Cup skater and decided to remain in Salt Lake City and continue skating. In the spring of 2002, Dr. John Rossi, the Dean of my graduate program at City of Hope-Beckman Research Institute, helped me to find a job as a part-time research scientist with Salus Therapeutics, a small biotech company that was later sold to Genta Inc. I worked there until about 5 months ago, when our entire Research and Development department here in Salt Lake City was shut down after Genta's anti-melanoma drug was denied FDA approval for further clinical trials.

Since that time, I have been unable to find another job in my field that fits with my training and competition schedule. After going on a couple of interviews, I found that most of the labs were looking for the sort of person who is willing to work 80 hours per week and get paid for 40, not the sort of person who wants to get paid by the hour and can finish 40 hours worth of work in 25 hours!

I've gone back to the Utah Olympic Oval to sharpen rental skates for $8 an hour, and have reluctantly accepted some help from my parents while I attempt to find some sort of sponsorship to get me through the Torino games, which will probably be my last chance.