Monday, February 06, 2006

Not right to look up to the Norwegian Team?

Some readers say that maybe I shouldn't admire the Norwegian team. It is true that I do not know anything about their system, and so I can see where the frustration would come in; I've also heard the rumors that Pete Mueller hand-picks some of his athletes.

I was speaking more from the experience of one of my friends, who got to visit Norway and saw Pete in his interactions with the team of skaters he works with. I also got to hang out with Pete in the spring, and talk to him a little about skating.

It might be wrong of me, but I got the idea that he would have "picked" me. After I'd been basically treated like garbage by my own federation, he said that he thought I skated well, and that if he were my coach he'd make me "fucking win."

All of this is just an example of what an important role a coach or program director's decision on an athlete's talent or potential can play in that person's career. I was lucky enough to be able to get an objective point of view on my speedskating potential from someone outside of US Speedskating. I am very sorry for offending any of the skaters who have ended up on the wrong side of Norwegian speedskating politics! I'm sure it happens in Norway just as much as it happens here; it's just that I'm not there to see it.