Monday, January 23, 2006

Inconsistencies in the USS "Physical Therapy Protocol":

Back in early November, I posted about being denied access to a trainer when my back was injured AFTER I had qualified for the Fall World Cups, but BEFORE the competition actually began. I was having muscle spasms in my back, and was told to "ice it and stretch it. We can't help you because you don't train with the National Team."

As it turned out, I had a rib out of place. A couple weeks later, when I was finally allowed to see the trainer during competition, it took him about 5 minutes to pop the rib back into place and another 5 minutes to show me some simple rehab exercises. I haven't had problems with it since then.

Now, get this: During the month of November, when we were away at the World Cups, a Category One skater who had been training with a non-USS team in Milwaukee and had recently moved to Salt Lake, broke his ankle in a training session. Somehow, he managed to convince US Speedskating to cover his surgery and full rehabilitation.

Mr. Program Director, if you and I ever see each other face-to-face again, you are going to have some explaining to do. So, why don't you try not to pretend that the issue doesn't exist, and I'll try not to puke on your shoes! How do you explain this discrepancy? How is it in the best interest of US Speedskating to NOT fix the injury of a skater who is going to actually represent them in international competition within a couple of weeks, but you'll go out of your way to spend tens of thousands of dollars helping someone who has never been at the level of international competition and doesn't even train with one of your teams -- a requirement which I was somehow held to, but others apparently are not.

I don't care if you hate my guts. Like it or not, I qualified to skate those World Cups by skating faster than the women who didn't qualify. Obviously, you people don't care about your athletes being in top racing condition (as if I ever had a doubt that this was the case.) Horse trainers treat their animals better. Iditarod mushers treat their dogs better.

For those of you who want to ask me why I immediately present these issues in a public forum instead of bringing them to the attention of the administration, I would remind you that I am very familiar with what happens when one tries to bring up an issue with the USS administration. This administration has shown repeatedly that it blacklists people who question them, and kicks out anyone who has any ideas about how to do things better. The fact is, they WANT to maintain the status quo. They want to keep setting up huge differences between athletes by arbitrary application of their own rules and standards.

Go ahead, US Speedskating. Keep doing what you've been doing. Your unwritten protocols of favoritism and discrimination may have defeated me through my own disgust with you, but let's see how your "protected little club" holds up against the Dutch, Chinese, Japanese, Germans, Canadians, and Russians.