Friday, May 12, 2006

The Process of Change:

Ever since the USSPEEDSKATING Spring Board Meeting, those of us who follow the world of speedskating have been getting little bits and pieces of news about the changes taking place within the federation. The biggest surprise so far has been the resignation of Katie Marquard, who will step down from her position as Executive Director in September of this year.

Many of the changes have been encouraging. People who care about the grassroots development of speedskating seem to be happy that Brad Goskowicz has taken over as USS President, because of his previous involvement with the ASU. Also, many people are certain that Beth Bedford will do an excellent job as Treasurer, because of her professional experience as an accountant (That is, assuming the budget can even be fixed at this point! I heard Beth just about had a heart attack when she first saw it...)

The budget is only one of USSPEEDSKATING's many concerns right now, but the lack of funds will end up impacting every part of the organization. Already, the regional development programs have been cut.

I guess right now there is some uncertainty about the National Team coaching situation as well. I have heard that the Allrounders have not yet begun training together as a group. I have also heard that Sprint coach Ryan Shimabukuro may be considering an offer to coach another team.

The allocation of benefits to skaters in different training programs is also up in the air. President Brad Goskowicz has brought up the possibility of giving the National Team-level skaters a stipend and allowing them to choose their own coach and training program. But this has not yet been decided, and time is ticking away.

I have continued to post about some of my experiences in USSPEEDSKATING, in order to make people aware of the problems that have gone on in the past. But lately I have realized that I speak of these problems in an angry way, because I have forgotten that it is now my goal to help inform the new USSPEEDSKATING Board, and to help them get this Olympic cycle off to a good start. I have to remember that things are changing in USSPEEDSKATING, even though these changes are not happening out in the open. And, of course, I have to remember that there are some new people involved in USS leadership now -- not just the people who hurt me.

Yes, I have been very open about my anger towards people like Mike Crowe and Andy Gabel, and about my anger about someone like Tom Cushman getting seemingly limitless chances to screw up (but should I be surprised? After all, this is the country that re-elected a president who lied to us about our reasons for going to war!) I am sorry if my angry words against "the federation" ended up hurting the good people who are involved.

USSPEEDSKATING includes some people who, I feel, abused their power to do things that were unfair, unethical, and bad for the sport. This federation is also made up of people who just made mistakes, people who had to "play by the rules" in order to keep their jobs, people who kept their mouths shut even though they knew that things were not right, and people who tried to fight to make changes but were pushed out.

When I started writing The Protocol, I wanted to tell my story because I wanted people to know that there was more to my own failure than just "me racing against the clock," or against myself. I also hoped that someday, my words would combine with the ideas of others who were also "fed up," and that a critical mass of dissatisfaction would be reached. I think that time has arrived.

I've heard people say, I've been around the sport of speedskating for decades, and I've seen the same old crap happen over and over. What do you think? That everything will change now, just because it happened to you?" I don't know exactly how or why, but I do believe it is happening. USSPEEDSKATING is being forced to change.