Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Just as I thought it would, our new phase of training has left me with little energy left over for writing. Even my latest vicious jab at USS was quite short, but I had to mention that situation in my previous post since it is important to some of my friends, and the topic is related to some of my other posts.

It has actually been a relief not to feel like I'm carrying around all these ideas for blog posts! Over the past couple of months, I'd wake up in the morning feeling like my head was going to burst from all the things I wanted to write about. By now, I really feel like I have spewed out pretty much all of my bitterness, and I'm ready to take The Protocol in a new direction.

I think I'm finally ready to talk about my journey to Torino; about the progress I'm making in my training; about my new team and how much fun it is to train with them. Of course, I'm sure that instances of injustice will occasionally come up and make their appearance in my writing, but I don't think that needs to be the main focus any more.

The most important thing I realized during the past week of training is that I need to learn where my new physical limitations are, now that I have become stronger. After my year of overtraining, I became slightly cautious, but now I need to start pushing a little bit further and finding out when I'll hit the wall.

Near the end of last week, I felt an unexplainable need to prove to myself that I had some guts. So, on Friday evening, I went to the outdoor pool at the Oquirrh Park Fitness Center and dove (yes, head-first!) off the 10-meter platform for the first time. Then, the next morning, I decided to ride my bike up two canyons instead of the usual one. I did Little Cottonwood in 1 hour 20 minutes, then Big Cottonwood in 1 hour 37, which was only 8 minutes slower than my best time up that canyon.

Fortunately, I came into this week of training with no ill effects from my weekend exploits, and just this morning I was able to handle the anaerobic jumping practice much better than I did last week. It's shaping up to be a good week of training, and Saturday should be really fun: I hope to get the Draper Days 5K inline race and a canyon bike ride out of the way before heading out to the state fairgrounds for the Warped Tour in the afternoon.

Life outside of training was a bit of a distraction last week. To make a long story short, both my house and my dog were leaking! The dog (a very spoiled and needy Alaskan Malamute named Kaya) is now on medication, and the house problem has been fixed (my swamp cooler hose was leaking; the water got into the ducts above the garage and I had a load of wet ceiling and insulation fall right on my head when I tried to let some of the water out!)

If I'm not writing a whole lot in the near future, it may be that I don't have too many ideas. However, if you'd like to see what's up with the High 5 team, I would recommend taking a look at my teammate Andrew Love's blog. Andrew is a great writer, and he even has the capability to post pictures on his blog. He has made several posts with pictures of our team training sessions.

I get to Andrew's blog by going to his website at www.andrewlove.org and then clicking on the link to his blog.