Monday, November 14, 2005

How I Really Feel About the Olympics:

Making an Olympic team, or winning an Olympic medal, is the main goal for just about every speedskater. With my last shot at the Olympics approaching, how do I feel about the Games, at this point in my career?

I've come to the conclusion that the "O" word is merely an excuse I use to justify my lifestyle to my society. In order to leave cancer research behind- if only temporarily - I had to:
1. Be training for the Olympics, and
2. Have a reasonable shot at actually making the team.

There was a time in my life when the prospect of never making an Olympic team was devastating. But now, that's not the case at all. I find that there are a lot of other aspects of speedskating that make me much more motivated and excited.

If I'd had enough time to do my career over again, the World Allround Championships would have been the ultimate goal. Hands-down, no-contest: This competition truly determines the best speedskater in the world.

Another one of my dreams would have been to set a world record in some obscure weekend time trial!

One of the coolest things in this sport has been seeing my name on "all-time best" statistics lists. Setting a new personal best time is always fun, too.

I really feel that I don't need to go to the Olympics to be satisfied with my speedskating career. Not only have I accomplished more in my comeback than I ever thought possible, but I also have learned so many things about what really goes on in this sport. I've heard stories about the circumstances under which some people have been able to attach the title of "Olympian" to their names; dirty little stories about committee decisions, voting conspiracies, and court battles.
I know I'm not a "worse speedskater" than someone who has gotten to go to the Games because of such things.

Will I be sad if I don't get to go to the world's largest corporate sponsored party? I won't cry too much. As far as huge, festive gatherings go, I can always go to the Warped Tour. I've also enjoyed scientific conferences. But, honestly, the prospect of going to the Olympics is something I'd look forward to with a certain amount of apprehension. It's not really my scene. You have to wear only the clothes you're given! And you're not allowed to write on blogs!

Still, there are reasons why I might like to go to the Olympics. It would be a learning experience. The Olympics are presented to us as one of those ultimate goals of youth. I'd love to experience the Games first-hand, to be able to make a final comparison of image and reality.

The Olympics must also contain lessons to learn about human nature, and about myself. How would I respond to an environment that seems to reek of conformity and totalitarian control? And, as far as race performance goes, would I be able to deal with the pressure and the distractions?

For me, achieving peak performance at the Olympic Trials in December is an intellectual challenge. Though I do not think I will fail at this task, I also do not see the Trials as a life-or-death situation. If there's anything intimidating about me as an athlete, it should be my own cavalier and disingenuous attitude towards the Games. I'm not taking the 2006 Olympics too seriously because I know that no matter what happens in the coming weeks, I'll be leaving this sport stronger and better off than I came into it in 2001.