Monday, November 14, 2005

Paranoia Doesn't Pay:

I really need to stop worrying about all the "crap." It's not helping me. I shouldn't have gotten all upset that I didn't get to skate the 1500 in Calgary; I know that it's the policy to let someone who is already there skate the race if the person who owns the spot chooses not to skate.

What I need to do is to focus on my own skating; to worry about my own results and not on other people's decisions. I've been skating well, so what's my problem?

I should know better than to keep trying to find examples of how US Speedskating is out to get me. It's not just me, after all. I believe they have a deeply ingrained attitude of exclusion towards outsiders in general.

As far as the results from Calgary go, here's how I really feel about Maggie Crowley's performance: What an awesome 3K! A 4:05 will most likely earn her a spot on the Olympic team. The coolest thing about her performance is that it's an example of the victory of training right over pseudoscientific BS.

I wonder how USS feels, after having spent an estimated $50,000 on each of its athletes (numbers are from a newspaper article on Shani Davis and sponsorship) to have such a fast 3K time posted by someone who, as far as I know, still commutes from a suburb of Chicago to skate at the Pettit; someone who has no access to high altitude chambers or any of that other stuff on which USS spends so much of its money.

Really! It's OK to spend $50,000 per athlete on negligible (if any) results! Right???

These Fall World Cups are the Olympic Trials for the distance skaters. Now is the time for them to post some impressive times. I know that the results from these World Cups will definitely "shake up the fishbowl" around here. Just a week ago, there was a bunch of gossip going around about me supposedly peaking early. In response, I started thinking, "How could they think I'm being so stupid about my training?" Now, apparently, there's a lot more for "them" to worry about than some sprinter going 4:16 in the 3K while under a training load.