Monday, November 14, 2005

A Swedish Garage Band: Another thing you can't have in a Hilton hotel room

Right now, at Mama Eva's Boarding House, we have a Swedish garage band. Last week, 7 Swedes and their coach arrived in Salt Lake City for a training camp. A couple of the skaters also happen to be great guitar players.

Upon arrival, the guys assembled my drum set, which hadn't been used for months. Then they took my invincible Ibanez and amplifier down into the garage and started playing. Soon, their coach, Andreas, joined them (playing the bicycle pump) and I brought in one of my clap skates.

If we can borrow a few more real instruments, maybe we can play some songs for the World Cup banquet. If not, then we'll just have fun making noise in the garage.

The reason why I've had to help these Swedish skaters find housing is that no other options are available. This group of skaters, who normally train in Gothenburg, came to Salt Lake City for a three-week camp and needed a cheap place to crash. One of the skaters, Joel Eriksson, had trained here before, and asked me to help his team find places to stay.

Though I've been busy getting ready for the World Cups, I managed to find rooms for all of them. I would like to thank local LDS (Mormon) Bishop Vance and Bishop Soto
for helping me to find host families for the skaters. I'd also like to thank David Graham, and Todd and Lisa Ruitman, for hosting several of the Swedish skaters for these three weeks. Thanks also to the Utah Olympic Oval for the use of your 15-passenger van to pick the skaters up from the airport.

I've also heard that Boris Leikin is hosting several members of the Russian speedskating team. This is the kind of thing that has to happen when there is no official athlete housing close to a major competition and training venue.