Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Thoughts on the Desert Classic Race

My times weren't too great, but with all things considered, I wasn't too disappointed in my race results from this past weekend. Our team's scientific advisor was quite upset that we raced at all this early in the season.

Yes, I really did skate my races in the pretty purple-and-lilac suit of a Salt Lake City Olympic forerunner (or, as fellow 2002 forerunner Ron Macky prefers to call it - the "Foreskin!")

There wasn't too much to say about the 500; I had a couple of stumbles and got too stretched out on the first turn, but my transition from the start into skating was good. The final time of 40.61 was OK.

In the 3K, I met my goal of having a steady race, but unfortunately it ended up being 35's instead of 34's. My final time was 4:28. Ugh! No World Cup-level skater wants to see that kind of time next to her name, but now that I'm a sprinter, I've almost given up wondering why all the pain I put myself through adds up to a 4:28 instead of a 4:15, even after all these years. Still, I take some comfort in knowing that this race was my first set of intensive laps this season.

The Impressive Performance of the Day goes to Eriko Seo of Japan, who skated a 1500 in 2:02.6, and then, less than an hour later, lined up for the 3000, which she finished in 4:13. That's some tough skating!